About 800 soldiers from the 1st Cavalry Division will deploy to South Korea in October as part of a rotational force that will serve with tanks and Bradleys near the North Korea border. The soldiers from 3rd Battalion, 8th Cavalry Regiment will be stationed at Camps Hovey and Stanley near the Demilitarized Zone, the Army announced Tuesday. The soldiers, part of 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, will replace troops from 1st Battalion, 12th Cavalry Regiment, who have been deployed to Korea since February. The 1st Battalion, 12th Cavalry also belongs to 3rd BCT, 1st Cavalry at Fort Hood, Texas. The deploying soldiers are expected to serve a nine-month tour.
The four armed services only submitted their draft 2016 budgets to the Office of the Secretary of Defense “basically yesterday,” Undersecretary Frank Kendall said this morning — and he’s already “concerned.” As the Pentagon’s top weapons buyer, Kendall sees worrying signs. With the automatic budget cuts known as sequestration looming in 2016, he said, officials are often low-balling cost estimates to preserve their current programs while shorting long-term investments in future weapons.
“Fort Bragg's Kiowa helicopters will be the last in the Army. Col. Michael Musiol, commander of the 82nd Combat Aviation Brigade, said the OH-58s assigned to the brigade's 1st Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment would remain in service for at least two more years. The squadron will be the last Kiowa unit to inactivate under an Army plan that eliminates the small helicopters known for providing close support to ground troops. The squadron is set to be inactivated in 2017 or 2018, Musiol said.”
“The 21-day extension of the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit is unlikely to affect the deployment schedule for other MEUs, Marine officials tell Marine Corps Times. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ordered the Camp Lejeune, North Carolina-based 22nd MEU, deployed with the Bataan Amphibious Ready Group, to remain at its current location in the 5th Fleet area, near the Persian Gulf, until the beginning of October, according to an Aug. 30 announcement from the Navy. This move will extend the MEU’s deployment, which began in early February, an additional 21 days beyond its planned eight months.”
"It appears the Navy is not yet prepared to begin talking about what’s next for the SSC — the alternative to the Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) that may or may not look something like what’s already being produced.
By order of Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel, a special SSC task force was convened earlier this year to examine the LCS program and recommend potential ways ahead — whether to pick one of the two existing designs now in production, modify either of those designs to a more powerful, “up-gunned” variant, or to consider an entirely different design.
The deadline to submit a report is Thursday, but Pentagon sources are saying not all senior Navy officials have yet been briefed on the task force’s findings, and the Navy is not commenting for the record."