- The South China Sea in High Resolution
- Advisory Board for the Sumitro Chair for Southeast Asia Studies
- CSIS Asia Programs Blog: Cogitasia
- CSIS Sumitro Djojohadikusumo Banyan Tree Leadership Forum
- Southeast Asia from Scott Circle
- The CSIS Indonesia Initiative
- The Sumitro Djojohadikusumo Center for Emerging Economies in Southeast Asia
- Trans-Pacific Partnership Speaker Series
- U.S.–ASEAN Eminent Persons Group
- US ASEAN Strategy Commission
Advisory Board for the Sumitro Chair for Southeast Asia Studies
The CSIS Sumitro Chair for Southeast Asia Studies provides substantive research on and dialogue with Southeast Asia by providing thoughtful input to impact policy. In order to ensure this effort is dynamic and enduring, CSIS recognizes the need for the active engagement and input from leaders from various sectors including business, policy, and civil society. The Advisory Board for the Sumitro Chair for Southeast Asia Studies was created to fulfill that requirement.
While strategic interest in Asia continues to rise, Southeast Asia has remained something of a blank canvas in Washington. The Sumitro Chair for Southeast Asia Studies has raised the level of focus on Southeast Asia through educating, enlightening, and making regional issues and leaders more accessible. It aims to continually broaden the constituency of active and interested parties engaged in the policy dialogue in Southeast Asia and to develop a strong foundation of research based knowledge to encourage dynamic policy dialogue and support the policy making process.
Board Description and Overview
The Advisory Board for the Sumitro Chair for Southeast Asia Studies is comprised of a group of prestigious leaders whose mission is to contribute input, resources, and advice to support and enhance the research and programming efforts of the Sumitro Chair for Southeast Asia Studies. The board’s mission is to ensure the relevance and dynamism of the CSIS Sumitro Chair for Southeast Asia Studies’ efforts.
The board’s members have special access to CSIS programs and are consulted on an ad hoc basis based on their specific expertise. They meet two times each year, in the spring and fall. Members also convene in ad hoc engagements with U.S. and Asian heads of state, ministers, and on other important programs.
The Board Members
- The Hon. Richard Armitage, President, Armitage International
- Mr. Manuel Arroyo, President, ASEAN Business Unit, Coca-Cola
- The Hon. Christopher Bond, Former Senator, Kit Bond Strategies
- The Hon. Ralph Boyce, President for Asia, The Boeing Company
- The Hon. William Cohen, Chairman, The Cohen Group
- Mr. George David, Retired Chairman and CEO, United Technologies Corporation
- Mr. Hashim Djojohadikuso, Chairman, Arsari Djojohadikusomo Foundation
- The Hon. Henrietta Holsman Fore, Chairman and CEO, Holsman International
- Mr. Maurice R. Greenberg, Chairman, CV Starr and Company
- Mr. Jon Huenemann, Vice President, U.S. & International Affairs, Philip Morris International
- Admiral Timothy Keating, U.S. Navy (Retired)
- Mr. Rich McArdle, Managing Vice President of Public Affairs, UPS
- Ms. Melody Meyer, President, Chevron Asia Pacific Exploration and Production Company
- Mr. Derwin Pereira, CEO, Pereira International Pte Ltd
- Ms. Katherine Pickus, Divisional Vice President, Global Citizenship & Policy, Abbott Laboratories
- Tan Sri Dato' Seri Shahril bin Shamsuddin, President and Group CEO, SapuraKencana Petroleum
- Dr. Timothy Shriver, Chairman, Special Olympics
- Mr. Edward Tortorici, Executive Director, First Pacific Company Limited
Full biographies for the Advisory Board are available here.
In the News