- Defense 360
- Defense-Industrial Initiatives Group
- Defense Budget Analysis
- Project on Nuclear Issues
- Proliferation Prevention Program
- Global Security Forum
- Missile Defense Project
- Global Threats and Regional Stability
- Homeland Security and Counterterrorism Program
- Strategic Futures
- Trilateral Dialogue on Nuclear Issues
- Military Fellows
- Harold Brown Chair in Defense Policy Studies
- Asia Rebalance 2025
- For Your Situational Awareness
- Smart Women, Smart Power
- Event Series
- International Security Program Archived Projects
Homeland Security and Counterterrorism Program
The CSIS Homeland Security and Counterterrorism Program shapes the policies needed to enhance U.S. and global security in the 21st Century.
The United States continues to face the evolving threat of international and domestic terrorism, as well as an emerging set of challenges in securing borders, developing national and community resilience against natural disasters, and ensuring the continued security of critical infrastructure. The Homeland Security and Counterterrorism Program analyzes how the United States and other countries work toward these goals, especially in an age of limited budgets and difficult decisions. It considers the measures that nations can take—such as creating a national infrastructure that is resistant to physical damage, enhancing resilience, or increasing cross-agency cooperation—to enhance their domestic security.
Past initiatives include studies on disaster preparedness, response, recovery, and resilience; “homegrown” extremism in the United States; the future of al Qaeda and its affiliates; international homeland security cooperation; and information sharing in law enforcement and counterterrorism.
A broad network of CSIS Homeland Security and Counterterrorism senior affiliates participate regularly in the program.
Publications by subject
- Counterterrorism and International Threats
- U.S. Armed Forces
- DHS and the Homeland Security Enterprise
- Disaster Preparedness, Response, Recovery, and Resilience
- Border Security
- Homegrown and Domestic Terrorism
- Information Sharing
- Chemical, Biological, Nuclear, and Radiological Threats
A forum to discuss the potential roles and duties of the U.S. Army National Guard through the examination of basic principles, structural drivers, and capabilities for different missions.
A forum to discuss strengthening the resilience of communities in disaster-prone areas through the lenses of philanthropy, business and policy.
The Arc of Instability project examines militancy in South Asia, exploring trends and strategic shifts across a wide array of militant actors.
This is an archive of projects from the Homeland Security Program from the summer of 2009 and earlier.
This is an archive of all publications of the Homeland Security and Counterterrorism Program.
- VideoDec 4, 2015
- AudioDec 4, 2015
Dec 4, 2015
Nov 17, 2014