- Cohen-Nunn Dialogues
- CSIS Commission on Public Infrastructure
- Global Aging Initiative
- Independent Commission on the Security Forces of Iraq
- Our Global Challenges
- Project in Southeast European Studies
- Project on Global Water Policy
- Small Screen Sessions
- Smart Power Initiative
- Strengthening of America—Our Children’s Future
- The Embassy of the Future
- U.S. Nuclear Energy Project
- New Defense Approaches Project
- Williamsburg-CSIS Global Forum
New Defense Approaches Project
The New Defense Approaches Project is focused on developing concrete and pragmatic recommendations for policymakers to better align the United States with a complex and uncertain future.
The New Defense Approaches Project aims to address two types of security problems. First, long-standing challenges that are evolving in ways that outpace the structures in place to manage them. Second, evolving areas of defense and national security that require greater amplification or new approaches to illuminate the path toward practical implementation.
The unique advantages of ground forces will be as vital in the coming decade as it has been in the past.
To contribute to a more fulsome debate on the full range of potential amphibious force contributions in the future.
In Fall 2009, the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness (OUSD (P&R)) asked CSIS to undertake a six-month assessment of DoD vulnerabilities to events that might occur in the next 5 to 10 years. The aim of this project was to provide useful insights on the defense implications of events that would have a sudden and disruptive impact on U.S. national security priorities.
The project examined the current officer management system and proposed changing the basis of eligibility for promotion from time to competencies in order to better meet the demands of the future operating environment.
- AudioAudio: Military Strategy Forum: Lieutenant General George J. Flynn, Director, J-7, Joint Staff - Panel DiscussionMay 21, 2012
- AudioAudio: Military Strategy Forum: Lieutenant General George J. Flynn, Director, J-7, Joint Staff - Keynote AddressMay 21, 2012
ReportMar 19, 2013
Critical QuestionsJan 17, 2012
In the News
Small Wars JournalBy Robert HaddickMar 2, 2012
Peacekeeping and Stability Operations InstituteBy Nathan FreierFeb 27, 2012