- About Burke Chair
- About Dr. Anthony H. Cordesman
- Arab-Israeli Conflict
- Iraq War
- Lessons of War
- Middle East Energy and Security
- Military Balance
- Saudi Arabia Enters the 21st Century
- Terrorism and Counterterrorism
- The Afghan Project
- The Afghan War in 2013
- The Gulf and US-Iranian Strategic Competition
- U.S. Strategic and Defense Efforts
The Gulf and US-Iranian Strategic Competition
Below you will find each chapter on the CSIS website. Select the chapter title to download the PDF. The complete book is available below to be read in 2 parts.
- Types and Levels of Competition - This report looks at the various arenas in which Iran and the U.S. compete for influence.
- US and Iranian Strategic Competition: The Conventional and Asymmetric Dimensions - This report looks at Iran’s Military forces in detail, and the balance of forces in the Gulf Region.
- US and Iranian Strategic Competition: The Missile and Nuclear Dimensions – This report looks at Iran’s Missile and Nuclear forces.
- US and Iranian Strategic Competition: Sanctions, Energy, Arms Control, and Regime Change - This report examines the impact of sanctions on the Iranian regime, Iran’s energy sector, and the prospects for regime change in Tehran.
- US and Iranian Strategic Competition: The Gulf and the Arabian Peninsula - This report examines the competition between the US, and Iran and how it affects Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait, the UAE, Oman and Qatar.
- Violence in Iraq: The Growing Risk of Serious Civil Conflict - This report examines in detail the role Iran has played in Iraq since 2003, and how the US has tried to counter it.
- U.S. and Iranian Strategic Competition: The Proxy Cold War in the Levant, Egypt and Jordan - This report examines US and Iranian interests in the Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, the Palestinian territories, Egypt and Syria. The military balance is also analyzed.
- US and Iranian Strategic Competition: Turkey and the South Caucasus - This report analyzes the US and Iranian competition over influence in Armenia, Turkey, Azerbaijan and Georgia.
- Competition in Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, and Central Asia - This report examines the important role Iran plays in the ongoing conflict in Afghanistan, and how the US and Iranian rivalry affects Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Central Asia.
- U.S. and Iranian Strategic Competition: The Impact of China and Russia - This report examines the complex and evolving relationships between China, Russia, Iran and the US.
- U.S. and Iranian Strategic Competition: Competition Involving the EU, EU3, and non-EU European States - This report looks at the role the EU, and in particular the EU3, have played as the U.S.’s closest allies in its competition with Iran.
- U.S. and Iranian Strategic Competition: Peripheral Competition Involving Latin America and Africa - This report examines the extent and importance of the competition between the US and Iran in the rest of the world.
Part 1 of 2
Part 2 of 2
ReportJul 9, 2013
ReportJul 18, 2012