- ReportSep 28, 2010
NATO remains a collective security alliance whose purpose, as embodied in Article 5 of the North Atlantic Treaty, is to defend the territorial integrity of all of its member states.
- ReportSep 20, 2010
The Western Balkans Policy Review, launched by the CSIS Lavrentis Lavrentiadis Chair, is a unique publication that systematically examines the progress of the Balkan Peninsula and the challenges this unsettled region continues to face.
- ReportBy Heather A. Conley, T.J. CipolettiAug 17, 2010
“Economic Transformation and the Future of Capitalism: Lessons Learned from Poland’s Success in Economically Turbulent Times” was sponsored and organized by the CSIS Europe Program, the World Bank, the Institute of International Finance, and the Polish-American Freedom Foundation, in association with the Embassy of the Republic of Poland and held at the World Bank on November
- Critical QuestionsJul 22, 2010
Q1: What impact will the advisory opinion of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) regarding Kosovo’s declaration of independence have on the country’s international standing?
- Critical QuestionsJul 19, 2010
Q1: British prime minister David Cameron will visit with President Obama on July 20. What will they talk about?
- ReportBy Rick "Ozzie" Nelson, Heather A. Conley, Teresita C. Schaffer, Ben Bodurian, Jamie Kraut, T.J. Cipoletti, Uttara Dukkipati, Robin J. Walker, Ania RajcaJul 14, 2010
The September 11, 2001, attacks transformed American and international conceptions of border control. The U.S. government, for instance, had traditionally viewed border control as a mostly customs- and immigration-based challenge. But after 9/11, policymakers and officials increasingly viewed borders as potential points of entry for would-be terrorists.
- Critical QuestionsJul 12, 2010
Q1: Have humanitarian conditions improved on the ground in Haiti since the 7.0 magnitude earthquake struck on January 12 of this year?
- ReportBy Keith C. SmithJul 7, 2010
A major challenge to the new democracies of Central Europe is the corruption and lack of transparency in the importing of oil and natural gas from Russia and other energy producing states once part of the Soviet Union. This situation also undermines good governance and ethical business practices in the large and wealthier countries of Europe.
- Critical QuestionsJul 7, 2010
Q1: What impact will the election of President Bronislaw Komorowski have on Polish politics and economic development?
- Critical QuestionsJun 21, 2010Q1: Why are the G-8 and G-20 leaders meeting in Canada this week, and what do they hope to accomplish?