In CSIS's short analysis series, Critical Questions, CSIS experts provide quick answers to the essential questions posed by today’s top international events. For more information, please contact Andrew Schwartz at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 775-32421.
- Critical QuestionsNov 25, 2015
Q1: What happened?
- Critical QuestionsNov 19, 2015
Q1: What is the “Force of the Future” that Defense Secretary Ashton Carter announced today?
- Critical QuestionsNov 16, 2015
Q1: What happened in Paris?
- Critical QuestionsBy Victor Cha, Andy Sau Ngai LimNov 13, 2015
The absence of Choe Ryong-hae—one of Kim Jong-un’s closest confidantes and one of the most powerful of the North Korean elite—from the state funeral committee of Marshall Ri Ul Sol on November 11 raises questions of yet another possible high-level purge in the North Korean leadership.
- Critical QuestionsNov 2, 2015
Q1: What was the purpose of the meeting?
- Critical QuestionsBy Olga OlikerOct 29, 2015
Q1: What is Russia trying to accomplish with its military operation in Syria?
- Critical QuestionsOct 27, 2015
After months of internal debate within the Obama administration, the guided missile destroyer USS Lassen transited within 12 nautical miles of Subi Reef, one of China’s artificially-built features in the South China Sea, on October 27 in what is termed a “freedom of navigation” (FON) operation.
- Critical QuestionsBy Jane Nakano, Michelle MeltonOct 23, 2015
This week, Xi Jinping made his first visit to the United Kingdom as the president of the People's Republic of China. Both governments hope that the visit will inaugurate a “golden era” of trade relations. President Xi’s visit highlights the budding cooperation between the two countries in the area of civilian nuclear energy.
- Critical QuestionsBy Victor Cha, Andy LimOct 14, 2015
Q1: What should we expect from President Park’s visit?
- Critical QuestionsBy Sharon Squassoni, Amelia ArmitageOct 9, 2015
On October 7, 2015, the Associated Press released a report detailing several years of undercover investigations into Eastern European smuggling of nuclear and radiological materials.