In CSIS's short analysis series, Critical Questions, CSIS experts provide quick answers to the essential questions posed by today’s top international events. For more information, please contact Andrew Schwartz at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 775-32421.
- Critical QuestionsBy Thomas M. Sanderson, Joshua Russakis and Claire McGillemJun 16, 2015
On June 12, 2015, al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) leader and al Qaeda Core (AQC) deputy director Nasir al-Wuhayshi was killed in a CIA drone strike in southeastern Yemen in the coastal city of al Mukalla. On Tuesday morning, AQAP’s al Malahem media outlet released a recorded video statement confirming his death; the video appears to have been made on June 15, 2015.
- Critical QuestionsJun 16, 2015
Q1: What has China announced about its land reclamation activities in the Spratly Islands?
- Critical QuestionsJun 12, 2015
The complex politics of deficit hawks, defense hawks, and domestic program advocates has produced an impasse on the fiscal year 2016 defense budget. Sequestration threatens.
Q1: What is “OCO” and why has it become so central to the budget debate ?
- Critical QuestionsBy John SchausJun 5, 2015
- Critical QuestionsBy Carl MeachamJun 2, 2015
Last week, Brazil’s Minister of State for Science, Technology, and Innovation Aldo Rebelo traveled to Washington, D.C., as part of the preparation for President Dilma Rousseff’s upcoming visit in late June.
- Critical QuestionsJun 1, 2015
Q1: What is "Made in China 2025"?
- Critical QuestionsMay 27, 2015
Updated May 29, 2015
On May 7, 2015 Senators Bob Casey (D-PA) and Johnny Isakson (R-GA) introduced the Global Food Security Act, or S. 1252. Meanwhile, the House Foreign Affairs Committee unanimously voted the House version, H.R. 1567, co-sponsored by Representatives Christopher Smith (R-NJ) and Betty McCollum (D-MN), out of committee on April 23, 2015.
- Europe’s New Military Operation against Human Smugglers and the Migration Crisis in the MediterraneanCritical QuestionsMay 22, 2015
Q1: Why has the European Union announced a military operation in the Mediterranean Sea?
- Critical QuestionsBy Sharon Squassoni, Bobby KimMay 18, 2015
Every five years since 1970, member states of the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty (NPT) meet at UN headquarters in New York to assess the implementation of the treaty. The Review Conference (the “Revcon”) will conclude at the end this week.
- Critical QuestionsMay 18, 2015
Q1: What or who was the target of the Delta Force assault in Syria?